Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Endocrinologist Conversation... Finally

I spoke to the endocrinologist finally, well to the endocrinologist’s nurse anyway. They actually do want me to start taking my synthroid at bedtime instead of in the morning. So it wasn’t a mistake on the letter, people are taking synthroid at bedtime. The endocrinologist’s nurse said that the key is no eating at least an hour before you take the pill and at least an hour after. Since I am not absorbing the synthroid as well as some people do, this would allow the whole night to go without eating or taking any vitamins or anything that may blog the absorption or synthroid.

I asked her when to make the switch like if I take it in the morning and then the next night, she said that it would be okay to take it in the morning and then that night again to start. Well, that makes me a little nervous. So I usually take it at 5:30 a.m. I think I will take it at 11:00 for the bedtime one, right before I doze off. I am going to wait until Friday though, if I feel funky because of taking too much I’d much rather it not be on a workday.

I really thought the endocrinologist had made a mistake on the letter. After I found the article on About.com from January about studies regarding people taking their synthroid at night, and talked to the endocrinologist’s nurse. I think I will try taking my synthroid at night, seeing if I get better absorption. Then perhaps eventually I will be able to drop back to 200 mcg of synthroid, and only having to pay the one prescription deductible each month. Well, we’ll see.

2 comments:

Hungry Monkey said...

So... how do you feel? I decided to switch from morning to night just a couple of days ago. Taking Synthroid right at bedtime hasn't ruined my sleep yet. I'm very interested in hearing other's personal experiences.

Teacher mom said...

I feel good, I posted on the main page to you!